Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day to my own Dad( and to other Dad's reading this!)

Happy Father's Day Dad!

Dad, most all of my earliest memories include you. My very first one I can remember sitting on a lazy boy and sharing ice cream with you.

The other one, I was very little. I can remember your face looking up at me on a sunny day as you threw me in the air and caught me. I always felt so safe with you! I remember the 'flying saucers' before bedtime. Remember those? You would carry me up the stairs to bed and pretend I was the flying saucer. You would always top off the night with a kiss and a 'kitty' hug, you know, where you would meow as you gave me a hug, lol!

Perhaps my favorite was when you would take me every Friday when you got off of work to the Toy's R Us and get me the latest Strawberry Shortcake doll character they came out with. Geez, I am showing my age now huh?

I remember when you used to make my stuffed animals talk to me, that was hilarious! I remember 'Dino' telling me I was pretty even was I was an awkward 13 year old zit faced, brace faced wonder, lol! I remember you trying hard to gulp down that horrible dinner I made you that time, what was it? Watered down tuna fish with equally crappy made Rice A Roni? Yes, Going to Burger King was not a bad idea that night!

Dad, the bad memories are there too. I remember the hurt on your face when I made bad decisions and I am so sorry that I disappointed you there. Now I have my own teenagers and I have seen them mess up and I now know the hurt. Again, I am sorry.

I remember being rushed to the hospital when I had gotten toxic shock syndrome when I was 16 and had used those bad batch of tampons. Mom and Aunt Patsy took me as you felt very awkward. I remember the relief a little while later seeing you walk in my hospital room. I know you were as scared as I was even though you were trying to make as many jokes as possible to ease the moment.

Dad, I remember the last time you tucked me in. I was 18 years old and it was the night before I got married to Big Chad. Dad, I could barely contain my tears when I saw you crying as I took my wedding vows. I remember the sweet bond you formed with your first grandchild, Little Chad, and all the years between him and Korinne of being with my children.

I am so sorry I moved so far away when I got married to Tony. I am sorry you can only see Korrine bascially in pictures.

Dad, thanks for calling me everyday Krinny was in the hospital and just letting me scream and cry. I wish you could have been there. I was so afraid. But your prayers and the prayers of so many others got her through and I think she has our temper! LOL!

Dad, things have been kinda rocky with us these last several months. I am sorry that we differ so much on so many things. I wish I could have been the woman you wanted me to be but I just can't.

Even though you are becoming increasingly grouchy as you get older, I won't hold it against you and I promise I will take good care of you and Mom through your old age, even if it means you biting my tail off the whole time, lol.

Dad, thanks for being such a good provider and that at least from birth to 18, I got to know what it was like to grow up in privilege. I have been humbled with lifes experiences though.

Happy Fathers Day old man! I love you!

The Prodigal Daugther Wendy

No comments: