She was barely 50, a mother of four, and a grandmother for only two months. She was a funny lady, and a very kind lady too. She thought more of others than herself.
It was not an easy day at all. It was hard to see a once very happy vibrant woman laying there lifeless. I loved her temple dress, pretty, white, frilly. But it was not Sandy. Sandy was a veteran in the Air Force, an outspoken jeans and t-shirts girl. She wasn't one to take "no" for an answer either....
Thinking back two and a half years ago, to me and Tony's wedding day, I certainly didn't seem to generate a ton of support not getting married in the temple. Some seemed to want to be supportive regardless of their disapproval of our unorthodox un-Mormon way of marriage, some sort of forced smiles, and there were a few who were genuinely happy for us. Sandy was amongst those. To match our decore for our wedding, she wore a nice red dress and a huge smile. Bless her heart.
Fast forward over a year later. I was very overdue in my pregnancy with Korinne. I was angry, uncomfortable and downright furious I could not get an induction. So here I get this call at the hospital, grouchy as hell and angry laying there during the NST, I tell the nurse, "whoever it is, tell them I just don't want to talk." I go home more than a little angry and here I get another call, "Wendy, it's Sandy and I am going to do something for you and I'M NOT TAKING NO FOR AN ANSWER".
Me"Sandy, no, my house is a disaster, please spare yourself and myself the embarassment".
Sandy: "I said, I'm not taking no for an answer, by the way, I am in front of your house and I am not turning back and driving to Portage."
So here comes Sandy with a footbath and a bunch of nail polish, razor and shaving cream. Oh gosh, my toenails! I could have climbed a tree with them! Sandy never gave it a second thought and in my foot went into the footbath and out came my pee as soon as my foot hit the bath. Good thing I had on a bladder pad. I did have to turn down the offer to shave my legs, more than a little wierd and embarassing as I think they could have been french braided at that point. She sat there talking with me, listening to me rant about how much I hated these doctors for making me go so overdue. She was so empathetic all the while the cancer in her was killing her, slowly.
Sandy, if you can hear me now, amongst all of those who are here crying for you I want to say this; I'm sorry I was such a grouchy whiney baby because my pregnancy was overdue and all the while that ugly cancer was killing you. I was bringing life into the world and acting the fool and you were dying. I want you to know that I appreciate you so much for thinking of me when you yourself were suffering so much worse. In March when Maddie got baptized, you looked so pretty , so vibrant. I had no idea that you would be leaving in a matter of months. I am glad my last words to you were "I'm glad you're feeling good and it shows because you look good". Sister Jensen told me you said you were getting beautiful to die. Bless your heart sweet sister. I will say that if I knew that it was going to be the last time I saw you on this earth, with your body and spirit in tact, I would have said so much more. I hate living with regrets and I hated having to talk to you today laying there unable to answer me, without your lively smile. My heart is heavy today. You have a beautiful granddaugther Sandy, I know you're proud. I am so happy you got to see her. Sandy, did you hear me when I asked you to tell God to please look after Korinne and keep her here with me and help her through her downfalls she will later face when the seizures return? I know you're with Him now. You and others who have been such significant parts of my life but have left before me. Sandy, so many are missing you right now and there will be a line ahead of me when my time on this earth is through. I will say this my friend, when I get to heaven too, I will be the one doing YOUR nails and giving you the footbath and you know what, I'M NOT TAKING NO FOR AN ANSWER!
Bye for now my friend. As the hymn goes "God be with you till we meet again, till we meet, meet at Jesus feet....."
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Wow...very touching...makes me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss sweetie. (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment