Thursday, September 11, 2008

Now Grandma is dead now, whose next?

Grandma Francis died Tuesday morning.

The height of irony is that on Monday, after Sandy's funeral, my thought was I have to call Grandma soon and see how she's doing.

This is how she was doing; She was in the hospital dying, nobody told me. I guess because I moved away the old adage "Out of sight, out of mind, applies". Lord knows my mother never cared about her, does that surprise me seeing how she is? No. But it still hurts.

I have no living Grandparents left. They're all gone. I did not get to say goodbye to her. Our last conversation was a little like this; It was before the summer started and I told her I was not sure we would make it out this summer (we have been unable to go back home every summer since we moved here for some reason or another, never enough time if we had the money, or enough money if we had the time) and she was going to send us money to go. Problem was Tony had no time with his new job and won't until next summer. Now I will never see my Grandma again on this earth. No matter how old or how big *yikes* I got, she would always say "Honey, come sit on Grandmas lap." And whenever we would visit, she would cook feasts fit for royalty. All made from scratch. Cracker Barrell never stood a chance against Grandma.

I can't make it to the funeral tomorrow for many reasons. Mostly because I can't travel far with Korinne due to her illness.

Her appointment was yesterday and we're not any bit closer to an answer. They're only repeating all the tests she has been getting done since she was 7 months. At this point, the doctor feels that it would not be in her best interest to go too far away.

I know Grandma would understand. Grandma was a mother of 11, Grandma and Great grandma to many, and even a Great Great Grandma. She lived in the Shenandoah Valley of VA and worked on her land up until maybe last year. She lived a long life and at 88, she left this world. I will miss her but then again, I am not a stranger to what heartache and pain feels like.

Korinne now has another Grandma Angel looking after her. Bye Grandma, I love you.

2 comments:

twondra said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. (((HUGS)))

Cindy said...

I'm so sorry Wendy...and I'm sorry that I can't be a decent friend to anyone right now and can't give you the support you deserve.